I had every intention of spending today sewing, but a post-brunch trip to Michael’s to pick up some earring components kind of derailed me (in a good way!) for the rest of the day, as my craft desk was piled with various projects (or rather, the makings thereof) that pulled me to work on those instead. Not to mention the handsome man painting miniatures at the desk opposite me. I made many things. Let me show you them.
First up was the finishing of my “Lady Mary necklace.” If you watch Downton Abbey, you will have seen this necklace in Season 5 (the current season), Episode 3.
This is my attempt at a similar style. It can be worn with the pendant front or back, though if I wear it in the front, it may well need some cinching up, lest it be lost from view in my abundant décolletage.
I recently have been drawn to antiqued bronze-type necklaces, and didn’t have any earrings to wear with them, nor could I find what I wanted at Etsy. So I made my own. 3 pair of earrings in 20 minutes. Scott said, “It must be so disappointing to have a hobby where you actually complete a project,” as he put the 57th coat of paint on his behemoth model (which, for the record, doesn’t even have its legs attached yet, and he’s been working on for weeks.) I did a couple art deco-ish pairs, and one more modern pair.
Yesterday, when I was at Silver Sea Jewelry to pick up this sweet little art deco piece that some kind soul had posted on Facebook to tempt me (successfully, as it turns out), the owner showed me some other art deco bits she had, and I picked up the pendant below, because it’s a casting of this work by my favorite artist, Alphonse Mucha. I had picked up the beads recently, not sure what I’d do with them, but I liked the effect of the mix so well, that, like all good crafters, I bought them anyway and would figure out what to do with them later. Later turned out to be today, and “what to do with them” was a triple strand necklace for my Mucha pendant.
The sewing I’d intended to do was to work on my gown for the Renaissance Faire I’ll be attending at the beginning of March. It’s all cut out; I just need to start stitching. The gown is red and black, and while I have other garb and headgear, I didn’t have anything that would go with the new color scheme. And I need a little something special, seeing as it’ll be another couple years before I have long hair again to fancify in a Renaissance style. (Grow, Hair, dammit! Grow!) Every year I see pretty floral crowns, but they’re usually not ones you can buy at the Faire. The ones available there are usually cheap, pastel, and primarily for little girls, and despite all this, ridiculously overpriced, so I decided to make my own.
I cannot tell you how thrilled I was with myself when, having gone to JoAnn’s for a sewing gauge and pins Thursday, I actually remembered that I wanted to do this project, and was able to get everything in ONE trip! (Actually remembering things at the right time, without writing them down, is a big damn deal at 43 and beyond. If you don’t already know that, you will…oh, you will!)
Anyway, my craft desk was filled with stems of flowers and it was a mess, so I decided to work on that. I didn’t sew my dress (I’ve got all day tomorrow for that), but I DID work on my costume, so this totally counts.